April 30th - May 8th, 2020
Bamboo Building Immersion Course
@ Finca Mama Mamey
Diamante Valley, Costa Rica
In the lectures and hands-on workshops you will learn:
* Bamboo varieties, harvesting, processing, treatment, and curing methods
*Bamboo Design and Model Making
* Bamboo splitting, bending, drilling, pegging, lashing, fish mouths and other joinery techniques
* Bamboo finishing methods, and maintenance strategies
* Bamboo & hardwood pin, and binder stick making
*Bamboo Furniture Techniques
* Bamboo wattle and split panels
* Bamboo Dome Assembly
* Specialty tools for Bamboo Construction
During this week-long course, we will construct a small bamboo structure, completing the entire framing process from start to finish.
This course is designed for those who would like practical natural building skills and hands-on experience working with bamboo. It would suit owner-developers, professional contractors, permaculturists, or anyone interested to build with regenerative and sustainable materials and methodologies. No prior experience or special skills with bamboo are necessary; only a reasonable level of physical fitness and willingness to learn.
6:45 a.m. - Yoga
8 a.m. - Breakfast
9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Classroom Lectures/ Hands-on Workshops
12 p.m. - Lunch
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. - Siesta
1:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Hands-On Workshops/Build
6 p.m. - Dinner
7 p.m. - Slideshows/ Videos
All food served at the course is organic, vegan, and locally sourced.
Fresh coconuts available throughout the day and fruit snacks in between meals.
Additional information and travel instructions will be emailed upon registration.